We often hear that it’s important for us to protect our eyes, and we should be very careful about how much time we spend staring at the computer screen. Well, there are a number of things you can do to help keep your eyes healthy and make sure that you are seeing optimal results from your efforts. These are some of the best activities you could try out to maintain your vision.
1. Get More Vitamin D
This is one of my favorite things in the entire world! If you are going to any extent to get enough vitamin D, then you will see excellent results. Not only is this good for your eyes, but it also helps with bone health and helps prevent certain eye diseases like cataract, which affects the lives of those who have them. It can even help with depression and anxiety because it keeps you calm and focused.
2. Don’t Forget About Eye Risks
I understand people may think getting COVID vaccines for their eyes isn’t a great idea, but I know it certainly makes sense. The virus is more dangerous to our eyes than most other parts of our bodies. For example, in April 2020, many people spent months in isolation with many of who contracted the disease unknowingly, causing a tremendous impact on their eyes. Thankfully, once they got through it and started feeling better, most were able to regain sight quickly. They went back to everyday life and kept practicing social distancing and wearing masks. People who were previously diagnosed with autoimmune stress, eye conditions, and lung problems got back to doing what they love. Plus, your eyes can now move freely without any issues whatsoever.
3. Make Yourself A Workout Buddy
This might take some work, as your body is constantly changing over the course of an entire day, but it does give you more energy. Just like the physical exercise, you should always be trying new things, which can also pay off! Whether that’s playing sports, yoga, mountain climbing, or running, just make it fun. Remember, this is not something that you do every morning, but rather at least once or twice a week. Exercise releases endorphins, chemicals that help you relax, increase your senses, and decrease anxiety. It can also help reduce inflammation, make your skin glow, and increase blood circulation, all of which makes you feel healthier and happier. Yoga can also improve balance, posture, coordination, coordination, and agility. There’s no need to go into depth here, but if you want more information, you can visit my article On How Yoga Helped Me.
4. Drink Enough Water
I know some of us would say this is a basic concept of health anyway, but did I mention that drinking water is literally the smartest thing you could ever do? Yes, definitely. Drinking enough water also regulates our blood pressure, decreases blood cholesterol levels, makes our muscles stronger, aids digestion, and regulates our overall moods; all while helping you stay healthy. Even though many of us drink water throughout the day or simply keep hydrated by consuming beverages to mix up water with juices, drinking plenty of water can help you improve your body’s core functions and give yourself more stamina. While having plenty of water doesn’t make you invincible, it does make you fit and healthy.
5. Try Daily Yogis Meditation
If I had to rate it high or low, I’d give this a high. I find people who stick with spiritual practices like meditation to be amazingly powerful. Studies show consistently meditating for 90 minutes to an hour a night can lower blood pressure by as much as 24/7 and lower heart rates by almost 40%. Another study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that people who practiced 20 minutes of mindfulness each day for six weeks reduced their likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s disease by as much as 60% compared to 15 minutes per day. All that combined makes this one of the strongest methods of reducing risk factors associated with diabetes, increasing sleep quality, and decreasing weight by 40% and 30%.
6. Start Getting Rid Of Bad Habits Like Smoking
One of the biggest reasons people fail to see eye care professionals is actually smoking. Many smokers develop glaucoma, the disease that causes deterioration of the retina, leading to blurry and painful vision. When you quit smoking for good, you will see a reversal of the effect that is caused by quitting smoking! This is so profound that quitting smoking only costs someone between $50-70 per month when they stop taking drugs that cause cancer and have lung damage. With quitting smoking, your chances of catching eye problems like diabetic macular edema and cataract are reduced drastically. In fact, studies show smoking can even lower your chances of becoming blind, and in turn saving you thousands of dollars!
7. Reduce Stress
If you have never experienced stress before, do it! Take steps to manage stress and avoid being overwhelmed with uncontrollable circumstances. Never be afraid to have conversations that can be intense and draining. Instead, try mindfulness training like meditation that increases relaxation and stress reduction skills. Learn stress management skills. Avoid addictive habits such as alcohol and caffeine, which are highly addicting and are known for affecting the brain.
8. Give Yourself Plenty Of Rest
Sometimes we overlook rest time, because it takes too long for us to notice. What people tend to ignore is that even sleeping a little bit more for one evening can actually provide better results for longevity than staying awake long hours. Staring at screens for too long can cause a cascade of symptoms including memory loss, headaches, fatigue, nausea, difficulty concentrating, and increased muscle weakness. Overworking your eyes can eventually lead to dry eye. Taking at least two and a half hours of rest can help you see better and longer than any other activity on this list, along with boosting your immune system.
9. Stay Hydrated
In order to stay vigilant in general, it’s incredibly important for us to consume adequate amounts of water. Anything less than eight glasses of water a day can leave you with a poor chance of surviving long term! One drink a day or two can boost blood flow to eye area. Some of us even drink water right before bed—something I’ve read can help you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to meet new challenges. There is another benefit to water besides that of improving eye health: Drinking water can flush toxins out of the body, a waste product of our own metabolism that can help you improve immunity.
10. Cut Down On Screen Time
Some of us are very addicted to electronic devices like iPads, laptops, computers, Nintendo consoles, etc. So, while there is nothing wrong with watching TV, cut down on screen time. Switch off electronics when your brain starts craving it. Stop scrolling and start reading articles. Use free apps like Headspace and Breathe that reduce screen times to two hours. Also, try using a “time compression” app to limit screen time. Using these programs helps your mind focus away from screen time and on new experiences and reduce distractions like listening to music.
11. Practice Social Distancing
We’ve talked about exercise, eating well, and sleep patterns in the past, but it would be wise to talk about staying home when possible. The more people practice social distancing when possible, the better. Those in personal service occupations like janitorial will benefit tremendously from social distancing. After all, if everyone else wears a mask, why wouldn’t they be doing so as well? Cutting down on screen time is a must if you are a professional services worker like that!
12. Remove Common Vision Diseases From Our Eyes
The most common eye problem on the planet today is age-related macular degeneration (AMD). AMD is considered the second leading cause of blindness worldwide and the third leading leading cause of retinal degenerative disease in the United States. Along with age-related macular degeneration, people who already had the disease can get it much quicker than others. Because AMD can happen when you are still young, it’s crucial to recognize signs of the disease early on. Early detection can prevent serious complications down the line, even if you don’t recognize them at the initial stages. Other common forms of the disease include retinitis pigmentosa (RBP), which is a rare condition in which the pigment cells on the retina slowly migrate into the retina, causing significant changes to vision. By regularly looking after your eyes, such as wearing contact lenses and avoiding tobacco use, you can protect yourself against future occurrences of age-related macular degeneration.
13. Prevent Dry Eye
Dry eye is a chronic problem that impacts around 50% of women in the U.S., 10% of men, and 5% of kids. Children, especially babies are affected more, and the prevalence increases with younger children. The main symptoms that come from dry eye include redness, burning, and sensitivity to light, which leads is more frequent. Symptoms can be permanent and can last for days to months. Anyone could also have dry eye, and it can happen to anyone of us. Unfortunately, no cure has been found yet, but if you follow these tips, your chances of experiencing dry eye are slim.
14. Wash Your Hands At Least Twice Weekly
If you work from home often, it’s important to wash your hands by washing your hands with soap and water twice a day. That way, you get rid of bacteria that can cause dry eyes. Also, it helps prevent infections that can cause dry eye in the first place. Additionally, use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, if possible, to kill germs. Most hand sanitizers contain benzoyl peroxide that breaks down sugar bonds, and therefore kill bacteria. However, using a non-alcohol based hand sanitizer that doesn’t break down sugars won’t hurt either!
15. Reduce Fumes Using Essential Oils